Wednesday, July 07, 2010

Surprise Me: Day 9/30


So this morning I was reading about the tongue - how it's such a small part of the body but speaks either blessing or cursing.  With one sentence, even one word, we have the power to speak good or evil - to speak words that heal and give peace and show love, or to speak words that wound, create division, and scar those who are listening.  I know this principle and have known it for years.  Sometimes that's the problem.  We need to take a step back sometimes and re-evaluate how we come across to others.  It can be sobering.  Today I was surprised both by the blessing others spoke to me and by the impact that the small words of kindness I sowed here and there had on those who received them.  It doesn't take much.  People are hungry and thirsty for love, blessing, anything good....because mostly what we all get day-in and day-out is bad, negative, and just drains the life right out of us.

Work has been off the hook lately - extremely stressful.  This morning on the way to work I reminded myself to pray for what I need.  I pray for others often and have been reminded lately that I need to pray for myself too....and I needed it today.  So I asked God to please start solving some of the issues at work to alleviate some of that stress.  Within the span of two hours, three people had come to me offiering to help with things that ended up helping me tremendously.  And believe me - it's not often people offer.  That was a nice surprise.

I had a migraine on and off all day and my medicine wasn't working very well.  I left and picked up the kids, came home, and laid down.  I got up to make sure they had dinner and went to get a couple of things at the store.  A good friend of mine called to tell me about his softball game and I told him we weren't coming because my head was killing me.  Later on, Maddie came upstairs to tell me he was here.  I came down to find him on my doorstep, just wondering if I needed anything.  Then later he called to tell me he would be over in the morning to put my new tags on my car.  I told him I could do it, and he sent me a text, "Be over about 7."  Period.  Alrighty then.  Thank God for friends who push past the independence and stubbornness to help a sista out!

Tomorrow's a new day.  Surprise me, God.  :)

No comments:

Post a Comment