Sunday, July 11, 2010

Surprise Me: Day 12/30


So this morning I picked up the kids and will have them for 5 days.  Saturday through Wednesday...this is my long week....and I love it like that ;)  We came home and hung out and Maddie helped me make lunch for a housewarming party for my supervisor.  We went and got her a gift and went to her new home. One of my friends and co-workers met us there.  It was nice to sit down and have a meal together and talk for a bit....then we were interrupted by my on-call phone ringing...

Earlier in the day, I had received a call from a staff person that she was unable to go to work because she didn't have gas in her truck.  The day previous, one of our Support Coordinators had gone out to her to put some gas in her truck.  Even though I was pretty sure she wasn't telling me the truth, when she called me again I asked her if I could come over and give her gas money so she could go to her shifts tonight.  She said yes.  I had been so upset with her that I hadn't stopped to think about it, but after I drove some money over to her house, I realized something.  She is going through a divorce.  She lives with her parents.  She is still paying rent somewhere else.  Maybe she isn't using her money wisely, but I have been the age she is....and I have made some major mistakes...and who am I to judge her???  I told her I was giving her that gas money because I knew she needed the money from working...and I was trying to help her get there.  My motivation changed.  I WAS trying to help her.  I stopped being angry.  She has a lot going on in her life and I wanted to be sensitive to that like I wish someone had been sensitive to me when I was going through the same thing.  God bless her.

We came home and I holed up in my room for a while...I had a really stressful week and was hoping the weekend would be calm....and work-free....but it really wasn't turning out that way.  I came down after a while and we left to go to Easton to meet some friends and their kids to see Dispicable Me.  That was a good one.  We all enjoyed it.  Afterwards we got ice cream and walked outside to the fountain....then the kids wanted to spend their piggy bank money on a Build-A-Bear.  Their money came from their dad and I each giving them money for each A on their report card.  Maddie got her reading and math assessment back in the mail and she is in the accelerated category for both....I am so proud of her!  Isaac did an amazing job too.  They are such good, well behaved kids.  I am so proud of both of them!

A good night....a good day....lessons learned...and precious time spent with friends and family.  :)

No comments:

Post a Comment