Today was all about friendship...and today started with yesterday :) I share an office with 2 other divisions and at least 11 other people...sometimes more depending on how many nurses are in and out doing their billing and case notes, etc. I have been out to dinner once with 4 people from another division, but other than that my contact outside of work has been limited to the ladies I work with in my division. Last night after work I went out with someone from the front office to a place across the street just to talk and hang out for an hour or so. This was really the first time we had ever talked other than casual conversation during the week. I love intellectual conversation. Sometimes I'm starved for it, actually....it can be a lost art these days. Anyway....4 1/2 hours later, we decided to leave the restaurant. I couldn't believe how time flew. God surprised me with a new friend who was one of the least likely people I would have expected.
My friend Kristin and I decided a couple days ago that we both needed some girl time. So today we dropped my car off to her husband so he could take a look at some things that needed fixed and she and I left to go to Easton. We had lunch together and shopped for a couple of hours....just enjoying hanging out together and catching each other up on what has been going on in our lives. When we got back to her house, I was so excited to see that my car's little issue was fixed....that was surprising and I am so thankful I can finally use my GPS again! :)
From there I went grocery shopping....I dread it....and usually I keep my mind focused on what I need to get and I get in and get out. All business. Today I made a point to look people in the eye, to smile and say hello, to compliment the cashier and start a conversation with her. It was nice to try to be a light in someone's day....you never know how badly someone may need a smile. :)
My friend Kevin came over later and we watched a movie together and I made dinner. We talked about a mutual friend of ours who has a new girlfriend and who is blowing both of us off for her. And I can understand that to a point....but both of us have left messages for him and he won't return either of our calls....and it's been over 24 hours. There are other things, too....but this is the most recent. We were talking about why that bothers us and I think for me, the bottom line is this: I treat people how I would like to be treated. I would absolutely never behave the way our friend is behaving toward us. It brings me to the painful reality that he probably isn't a true friend....and that's okay. Somewhere along the way I have learned that is not the kind of friend I want to be....and I have learned that I don't need to invest my time in a relationship like that. It's just not worth it and it never ends up being healthy anyway.
I had several friends call me or text me to check on me today....just randomly throughout the day. My best friend called from Vegas a couple of times. One of my friends called to make sure I wasn't lonely since I dind't have the kids. (Awwwww). Another friend called me from D.C. where he was on vacation to check and see how my weekend was going and to make sure I went through with getting a massage that my girls at work had gotten me for my birthday. Someone else texted me throughout the day and we joked around back and forth. And my friend who has been going through a tough time called me and filled me in on some things today...it was so good to hear him laugh :) So it was a nice surprise to have a day filled with reminders of what wonderful friends I have....and it encourages me to be a better friend.
:) :) :) :) :) :) :) :) :) :)

No comments:
Post a Comment