Sunday, July 25, 2010

Surprise Me: Day 26/30


Four more days....
I have been anxious about today for a couple of days now.  My friend set me up with an office-mate and  friend of his that I used to work with from time to time.  We went out a few times, but there was no chemistry there and we stopped seeing each other.  But we still wanted to be friends.  Two weeks ago, the three of us and all of our kids met for a movie and ice cream and a walk around Easton.  It was a little awkward.  This weekend we had all planned to go on a train ride about an hour from Columbus...again with all of our kids.  So I was nervous that it would be awkward again and I know that's silly.  But it was getting to me.  So....today came and we went and it was actually really nice.  A little awkward maybe, but really nice.  The kids got along and the three of us friends talked and I laughed so hard I cried.  :)  Love it when that happens!  We were in the train car...on probably one of the HOTTEST days of the year so far...and most of the windows were shut so we were trying to open them.  We couldn't get one of them open and Maddie said, "Surprise us, God."  :)  A few minutes later, the window was open and we were on our way.

After the train ride, we went swimming and visited my supervisor and her husband in the hospital and came home.  I was taking some laundry down to the basement and got about halfway down when I realized something.....there at the bottom of the steps...with his little paw on Malachi's water dish....was Chipmunk...Maddie's hamster that escaped weeks ago.  He had been living in the basement off the cat's food and water!!!  I grabbed him and ran upstairs to tell Maddie I had found him and she put her face in her hands....she thought I had found him dead.  When I showed her he was alive, nothing could have compared to the look of joy on her face!  I am so happy for the kids! That was truly God surprising us!

Someone introduced me to a new friend a couple of days ago and last night I learned he used to be a youth pastor.  Shocking.  I never would have guessed that in a million years because what I saw....the outward man....was nowhere near the type of person I thought a youth pastor would be.  Leave it to Him to remind me not to look at the outward....it's what's in the heart.  God has surprised me over the last couple of days because we have been talking about God and what He has meant to us in our lives...how we have messed up...how we feel a lot of guilt over things in our past and present...and how we sometimes feel that God is angry with us, disapproves of us, or doesn't accept us.  Wow.  This is a kindred spirit.  I think God will use both of us to sharpen each other and support each other.  Isn't it just like God to surprise us with something we never thought we needed?  A sharpener.  Go figure.  :)

Tomorrow is a brand new day.  I'm sure it will be full of new surprises.  Thank you, God.  Cuz I know the surprises were here long before Day 1....and will continue long after Day 30.

No comments:

Post a Comment