Day ten. One third of the way there... What a whirlwind of a day. Bogged down with stress - missed an important meeting because I was in another important meeting...time to slow down. I forget (big surprise lately!) where I read this today, but some wise person said sometimes we need to just be still. The reply came, "I can't stand to just do nothing." The response? "My friend, there is a great deal of difference between being still and just doing nothing." I needed to be still today. So...rather than obsess over the workload today and trying to rush to beat the clock, I had a sit down discussion with my supervisor. The office had emptied - it was just us. And it was calm and quiet. And she listened to me. She asked how she could help. She told me she appreciated me and what I do. All of that was a welcome surprise at the end of a long hard day. Breathe.
A couple of friends with whom I have not spoken in a while (you know, is that proper English?....cuz it just sounds so daggone weird! hahaha) called this evening. It was a blessing to talk to them.
I had been trying to get ahold of a friend of mine whom I met while volunteering in a prison. She had gone to prison as a result of something she did while she was on drugs and alcohol. She had gotten out of prison and we had kept in touch, but all of a sudden she stopped contacting me. She abandoned her apartment. I have been so worried that she got back into the same stuff that put her in prison in the first place. Her neice called me today out of the blue to fill me in on what has been happening. It's not good. But this young lady, my friend's neice, has been so hurt and devestated and could really use a friend. I am thankful that God is using me to be there for her.
My brother posted a blog recently that I read tonight. It was called something like, "Stop Playing With Your Balls." It was an analogy. Dung beetles who live on and in and play with poop....vs. humans playing in the crap of life's things. I have never been a materialistic person. I will take peace and comfort over money and things any day. But you don't have to be materialistic to find yourself valueing something over someone. I'm in the people business - and I love people. But how often do I sacrifice loving on someone who needs me (which I actually would MUCH rather do) for getting my paperwork done so it's not hanging over my head. Wow. I am surprised by how much dirt shows up the closer one gets to the light. Ouch.
Tomorrow's a new day, God. Surprise me. :)

No comments:
Post a Comment