Friday, July 16, 2010

Surprise Me: Day 17/30


This is the second time in the last two weeks that I have seen this picture.  I love it.  First of all, it totally reminds me of my son.  That is SO something he would do...and it just makes me laugh to think about how ornery and how much of a fearless daredevil he is!  :)  But more than that....I love what it says with no words.  Believe in yourself.  You can do it.  Or....I believe in myself.  I know I can do it.  Whether we have someone there to encourage us or we need to encourage ourselves (because no one is there to do it for us or more than likely, we won't ask for it)....encouragement....HOPE...is what fuels us and gives us strength.  No matter how much we think we can do life on our own....all of us need it. 

That's what today was all about for me.  God surprised me all day long.  My friend whose daughter was injured came back to work today.  I know she doesn't like to have a fuss made over her when she is weepy because she is afraid she will break down and cry.  I wanted so badly to run up to her and hug her and not let go...and just let her know how sorry I am and how I am praying for her family.  But I restrained myself out of respect :) and waited an hour or so to let her get settled.  I walked up behind her and hugged her for a few seconds and walked away.  I pray God used that to encourage her and let her know someone cares. 

Work was better.  I got a lot done in the office today because I had no outside appointments, and I am finally getting caught up.  I sent an email to my old supervisor and an old co-worker who is still a good friend and thanked them both for their kind words in cards and letters from years ago that I had read over the last few nights.  I wasn't expecting the responses I got.  More encouragement and more "thank you"s for who I am and what I have meant to them.  I am always humbled and shocked when I hear things like that.  To me....I am just an ordinary girl and I don't have much to give but love.  But the impact of passing God's love on to others is apparently life changing.  I know, because I have experienced that at the hands of many people throughout my life.

After work I went to meet a friend who I had promised to meet up with for a bit.  I wasn't really looking forward to it.  I had lots of other things on my mind.  But God surprised me once again, and I had a very nice time talking and laughing and listening....I needed that.  God knew.

When I got home, I checked my email to find I had one from an old friend who has been following my blog, and from my brother....who I had no idea was even reading these.  Both of them told me what I have been writing has been encouraging to them.  Wow.  THAT is why I do this.  And a great big THANK YOU again to both of you....because it encourages me and gives me renewed passion to continue writing, knowing that God is making a difference through me.  I am a simple girl....with an ordinary life...who is shy and hates to put herself out there for everyone to see...but who is obeying God's call on her life...and if I can share that with others and be vulnerable and let people see they are not alone in their struggles....then this is all worth it.

My heart is still hurting for both of my friends.  But today God has encouraged my heart and given me the peace that everything is going to be okay with both of them in both situations.  He is God.  He is still on the throne.  They are His children.  He has not forgotten them.  He hears their cries.  He holds them in the palm of His hand.  I can rest easy knowing that, and it frees me to be able to pray for them and not focus so much on the pain.  Thank You, God....for healing hearts and mending brokenness....even as I type this.  

Tomorrow is a new day, God.  More love, more power, more healing.....surprise us.

2 comments:

Unknown said...

Thank you and Thank you! I love ya girl and keep writing! instead of 30 days, make it EVERday or a least once a week here after :)

Heather said...

Thanks, girl. I've been thinkin bout it. You are such a sweetheart...and a great blessing to me. :)

Post a Comment