Tuesday, July 20, 2010

Surprise Me: Day 21/30


So.....nine more days left....and quite honestly I'm kinda sad about that.  I know me, and I know I need motivation to blog.  This experiment has been pusing me to do it every day.  My mom and my brother will send me little emails here and there reminding me they haven't seen one in a while.  I'm afraid I will get back to that.  So I'll work on it :)

Today I woke up early....4am maybe...with a migraine and my sinuses were all jacked up.  It was raining outside.  Crap.  I swear my head is like a barometer.  I can measure the air pressure and weather changes by my pain.  So I went back to bed til 7:30 and was late getting to work because I just couldn't shake the migraine...which at least had just become a headache at that point.  Add to that the fact that when I was blow drying and styling my hair, the blow dryer sounded like the motor was going to explode and just quit working.  Great.  So I did what any resourceful woman would do....I drove to work with a brush on the front seat, a hair tie around my wrist, and the windows down as I drove 70mph (shhhhh!) on 270 for 20 miles.  That's called a hillbilly hair dryer.  LOL  So I get to work, put my hair up...and feel like crap and probably look worse....which makes me feel even crappier. 

My day was okay....got lots accomplished....laughed with my co-workers as usual (never a dull moment around there) and left to go to dinner and walking in the park with a friend.  There was just something off.  I couldn't quite put my finger on it, but something wasn't right.  Who knows....just a weird day I guess.  The whole day felt off.

When I got home and got settled, I was sitting in front of a blank screen, trying to figure out what was surprising about today.  I had no idea.  Today was like a whirlwind and I really wasn't paying attention, quite honestly, to anything God may have been trying to show me.  At that very moment, my phone rang.  It was my mom.  She is at Lakeside Institute, a Christian camp for 13-20 year olds.  She and I used to be camp counselors there together but for the last few years she has gone alone.  She called because she was supposed to do the devotion tonight at closing circle and she had no idea what to say.  It is TOTALLY against everything she is to be a procrastinator....so I was confused.  Closing circle is at 11pm and it was 10.  Who are you and what have you done with my mother? :)  She said she kept thinking about what to say for closing circle but she couldn't come up with anything...not even a Scripture.  She said she had been thinking all day about the Surprise Me God thing and wanted me to remind her of some of the things I had written about and how they had affected my days so far.  I ran down a short list of some things that came to mind right away and she thanked me and hung up.  Huh????  That was so weird.  I texted her and asked her to call me afterwards so I could know how it went.  When she called I was still struggling with what to say tonight.  I said jokingly, "I wish you could help me like I helped you!"  She told me she had something to tell me that would help me...

She talked in closing circle about the Surprise Me moments I have written about...and how my daughter has asked me every night when I put her to bed what God did to surprise me that day.  She talked a bit about my battle with depression and how I try to put focus on helping others and looking at the postitves to pull me up out of the negative.  And she said to everyone....I tell you that to tell you this....God surprises us every day.  We don't see it sometimes because we are so wrapped up in ourselves and what we are doing at the moment....(sound familiar?)  We need to live every day watching and EXPECTING for God to surprise us in some way.  She said, "some of you have heavy hearts and a lot on your minds...there are some kids here this week that are here for the last time...this is your last year."  She encouraged them to focus on positives and what God had in store for them....His surprises yet to come.  She named two of the campers that have been very close to my heart....who are there for their last year...they're 20.  And they were crying.  She hugged both of them and one of them asked if she could talk to my mom tomorrow about something.  After closing circle when everyone was saying goodnight, one of the other counselors came to my mom and shared that she has a degenerative muscle disease and that she battles depression every day.  She has a husband and children.  She asked my mom if she could have me call her so we could be a support to each other when we needed to talk to someone. 

My mom pointed out how this little experiment I have been doing has been touching others and that is what I set out to do....this is not about anything other than that.  I am so blessed to be able to see the fruit of it and to know others are being blessed by the truths that God is revealing through me.  I am humbled that He is using me to do this stuff. 

Tomorrow is a new day, God.  Surprise me.  :)


No comments:

Post a Comment