There were frustrations today as there have been all week. One of my co-workers and I were kind of venting to each other and afterwards, I think we both had a different view on the rest of the day. We have been so overwhelmed with the workload that we have been pushing ourselves to work extra just to keep our heads above water...and have felt like we are eating, sleeping and breathing this job. At about 2:00 I finally decided to take a break and get something to eat. I walked to his office to see if he just wanted to take a ride with me down the street. And he did. The weather was really nice outside...and we had a nice conversation...and although we were only gone about 10 minutes, that little break lifted my spirits and helped me not push myself so hard. It was a little breath in the middle of a busy day.
I go to a Bible study the 1st, 3rd, and 5th Thursdays of every month. I haven't gone in a while because I have either worked over on those nights because I have no kids to come home to and I can get extra work done, or I am so exhausted I just come home and go to bed. I was so exhausted tonight all I wanted to do was go home and crawl into bed and watch TV or just go to sleep. I was really that tired! But I knew my attitude needed adjusting and it wasn't just going to fix itself. I needed that reset...and I needed to make myself push past my exhaustion and go fellowship with my brothers and sisters in Christ. It was good, as always...we read and discussed and prayed for each other...and I think there were a couple corny jokes thrown in there somewhere. I was glad I went...as I always am. I needed it.
Sometimes we can push ourselves so hard to do more...there is always more to be done...and we don't take time to create margin in our lives. Margin is something we have to work at creating and maintaining. If you picture a piece of notebook paper, and there is writing all over it, there is at least a margin at the top and on each side where there is no writing. When reading, this is where your eyes can rest. The margins. That is where the rest is. And not always just rest...sometimes margin means doing something...but something that recharges you. Like the Bible study I went to tonight...or the car ride with my co-worker today. Sometimes margin means doing nothing. Making yourself relax. De-stress. Whatever that means for you...in whatever circumstance you find yourself...take time to create margin in your life. Breathe. Recharge. Reset.
Tomorrow is a new day. Surprise me, God.

No comments:
Post a Comment