Last July, I started blogging once a day for 30 days about how God surprised me that day. The idea came to me from a book I had started by Terri Essau called, "Surprise Me, God." Each day, Terri would pray for God to surprise him. Nothing more and nothing less. Then he would write about his day and how God had surprised him that day. I have been feeling God nudging me to do this again, but this is probably the busiest I have ever been in my life and I didn't want to start something I wouldn't be able to do every day. I have decided that I will just ask God to surprise me and see what happens. :)
Day One
One day this week...it may have been yesterday...things have been running together lately...I was getting ready for work. I had already said goodbye to Maddie and sent her to the bus stop. Isaac was eating breakfast in front of the TV as usual on school mornings. I was upstairs getting ready for work. I heard something other than the familiar cartoons on TV and asked him what he was watching. He told me he was watching a woman preacher with short hair and bright lipstick and she was talking with an accent. I asked him if it was Joyce Meyer and he said yes. I asked what she was preaching on, and he started giggling and said she was reading out of the Bible and then she said, "Something GOOD is gonna happen to YOU!" I laughed and we both went back to doing what we were doing. That warmed my heart.
Today was a hard day from the moment my eyes opened. A restless night full of nightmares, migraine in the middle of the night, and waking up with my neck so sore I could hardly move it. Isaac was upset with me from the night before about something so we talked and ironed everything out. I sent him and Maddie both off to school, grabbed the cable stuff I had to return to the cable company, looked at the clock and realized I was going to be late to work....again...because I had to drop the stuff off at the headquarters before driving to the office. On my way down the road, I saw Disco Dan....our friendly neighborhood guy who is stuck in the 70s and carries a transistor radio on his shoulder, wears 70s clothes, and bebops down the streets and into the businesses in our neighborhood. That made me smile. He always makes me smile. He's always happy. Groovy, man. :) After I found my way to the cable headquarters, I put in a CD by Joyce Meyer and just started trying to listen and calm down a bit on the way to work. One of the very first things she said....within the first 5 minutes...was...."Something GOOD is gonna happen to YOU!" That made me smile and made me feel connected to God somehow....like He saw me and what kind of day I was having already and it was all gonna be okay. God surprised me.
During a two hour meeting today, I could feel my blood boil because there were some things going on in one of the sites I supervise that I had just found out about....and I should have known long before then. I could feel myself getting ready to snap at the staff and I didn't want to do that. I just tried to calm down on the inside. One of the staff started talking about something funny our client did and mimicked her....SO well! It cracked us all up and we were sitting in the conference room laughing for a long time over that. Those clients bring so much joy. Kind of surprising when I think about how WE are supposed to be the ones trying to make THEM happy. It's effortless for them. They are such a blessing. Thank You, God.
Later in the day, I was dealing with crisis after crisis involving two of my extremely high maintenance clients. All the phones were ringing off the hook, the receptionist came to tell me there was someone waiting to see me up front, someone else came in to ask me for something...I was feeling really frazzled and ready to lose it. My whole day....actually my whole week....has been like that. The new nurse came in to ask me something and she saw pictures of the kids. She asked me about them and commented on them and asked me questions about my family. She asked me if I missed them being young and we talked like only two moms with growing kids can. I needed that. Thank You, God.
On my way home, I saw Disco Dan AGAIN! How did I get the honor of twice in one day?!? :) Again, even though I had a lot on my mind and my day was far from over and I knew the things I still had before me to do, it made me take a break from the stress of the day and smile. And think how great God's timing is.
Tomorrow's a new day. Surprise me, God.

No comments:
Post a Comment