Friday, November 18, 2011

Day 11/30


Lots to do today...and I knew I was leaving at 11am to go to a celebration lunch with the owner and all the class participants and the management team.  I also knew I was planning on leaving for the day when I got back at 1:00.  So I had to maximize my time.  I felt good about what I got done.  I took some work home with me to do over the weekend and went to meet everyone at lunch.  The owner had reserved the largest table in the place for all 18 of us.  It was a round table with a lazy susan in the middle where the server would put food and drinks for us to pass around the table to each other.  It's a really unique set-up.  I sat next to two of my Home Managers and one of the Support Coordinators on our management team.  While we were waiting for our lunch, the owner told everyone how proud he was of the job we had all done and told us all about plans for the future of the agency.  It was nice to be able to share our future plans with the other members of the team.  They are going to be part of us growing now. 

After the owner was done talking, we all started carrying on conversations with the people who sat next to us.  It was so cool what I learned today.  One of my Home Managers I have known and worked on and off with for 16 years has a son who is now 10 years old.  I didn't know that.  The other two ladies I talked to I have known for much less time, but I work more closely with.  The thing is, we work together and we share certain things with each other about our personal lives, but most of our relationship is work related.  We never get into conversations about anything much deeper.  But today, I listened and I learned that these two ladies had both grown up in different countries in Africa, but they lived only a few hours from each other.  They each had gone to the same boarding school their entire school carreer.  Not much contact with family.  They were taught by nuns.  To cook, clean, plant, to have good manners, etc.  It was a very strict atmosphere, but taught them to be independent.  And they are both very much that.  Independent.  I learned some things today that I would never have known had I not sat down and fellowshiped with these ladies and gentleman.  It felt good to know more...and made me want to know still more...maybe some other time.

After work I had so much I had to get done...still...and I was on a timeline.  But I got done everything I wanted and needed to do...and I wasn't too far behind schedule.  Accomplishment feels so good.  Some days I have to push myself, but it feels good at the end of the day to know I accomplished what I wanted to....and that I got to take a nice little surprising detour from getting things done to get to know some important people in my life.

Thank You, God...for good food and good friends and good times.  Tomorrow's a new day...surprise us all, God.  :)

No comments:

Post a Comment