The first surprise of the day today was that I overslept....til almost 9am! What?!?!? How in the heck that happened I will never know. My alarm went off and I don't even remember hitting the dismiss button. So....I knew I would be late to work. But at least I was rested. :-)
I was still feeling the emotional effects from the day before...really weepy and sad...and I knew I had another busy day ahead of me at work and I was already behind. I had made lunch plans the week before for today at noon with a friend and I was already wondering how I was going to fit that in...but I knew we both needed it. I got into work and went to go scan something on the printer. One of my friends who works there, Brian, asked me what was wrong...was it written all over my face?...and I just started crying. The receptionist saw it too and both of them were so sweet and reassuring to me. Brian gave me a piece of chocolate :-) and told me to call him if I needed to talk. Athena kept checking in with me all day asking me how I was doing. It's so nice to work with people like that.
I went and picked up my friend Sarah for lunch and we talked and caught each other up on our lives and what has been going on. We promised to pray for each other. I needed that so much. God knew last week when we set this lunch date that I was going to need this today.
I got back to the office and that same overwhelming feeling was all over me again. I got a text from my mom asking me to call her when I could so she could hear my voice. I just shut my door and cried. I called her. Cried some more. She was reassuring me and saying things to me to give me hope and encouragement. My mom is so good at that. Sometimes those rose colored glasses she wears come in handy! After I got off the phone, I wiped my eyes and opened my door and got back to work. All of my co-workers in my department were asking me if they could help me with anything because they know I have a lot on my plate at work. It was nice to have people offering to help. My supervisor came in and rubbed my shoulders and asked me if she could do anything for me. More tears. I said no and she proceeded to close the door and tell my officemate and I a true funny story that made us all laugh. I needed that. I think we all did. Laughter is so healing.
My boyfriend Brian had been trying to encourage me today too...through phone calls and texts. Our family has been dealing with a lot over the last few months and sometimes it just gets too much for us to bear. Fortunately we don't normally feel like that at the same time so we can encourage each other when the other one needs it. Athena called me up front and I'm thinking, "geez...one more thing in the middle of what I was trying to get done and faxed by the state's deadline...I don't have time for this." When I got up front, Athena was smiling and Tina had this mean look on her face...I looked on Athena's desk and there was a beautiful bouquet of flowers in a vase. Athena told me Brian had called to make sure I was going to be there. Tina had her hand on her hip and said, "I can't even get a dandelion!" More laughter. As I carried the flowers back to my desk, I smiled at the fact that I have the best man in the world and even after a year together, I am still falling in love with him. Thank you, God.
I left work a little late because I had to meet the deadline before I left, and rushed home to pack a bag and grab the dog and head out of town. On my way to the highway from my house, I saw Disco Dan. Oh my gosh. Here he was on the side of the street with his kinky afro-like hair and the huge transistor radio over his shoulder, and with the other hand he was holding a big ole swirly lollipop and licking away. So happy. I smiled and laughed and headed on my way. The sky was darkening and the day was coming slowly to a close and I was thinking, if I wasn't doing this Surprise Me God thing, I would have been tempted to say this was a bad day. But here are all these bright spots that I was looking for today. Thank You, God for a day full of blessings.
Tomorrow's a new day. Surprise me, God. :-)

No comments:
Post a Comment