Sunday, November 13, 2011

Day 5/30


After I picked up the kids from their dad's, we went back to the house and right as we walked in the door, the kids got into an argument.  Directly after that, Maddie had a meltdown about something completely unrelated.  I sat down and just let her vent and cry.  I listened to her and tried to see where she was coming from and I did.  It hurts my heart so much that some parents don't think kids have anything worthwhile to say...that they are the adults and what their children think doesn't matter because what they say goes.  It would be easy to do that, I guess.  I have just always been a good listener and maybe that's why it comes naturally to me.  She was telling me something that she just blew up about because she had been holding it in, not wanting to ruin anyone else's day or for them to think she is a spoiled brat.  I took that as a teachable moment.  I told her what I have learned over the years.  I used to be like that too....and sometimes I still struggle with it...but I have learned that if you speak up right away when something is bothering you, it releases you from anger and resentment that you may have otherwise kept bottled up.  It's good for you to let it out...and only fair to the person you are upset with...because it gives them the opportunity to apologize or to let you know you are off base about something...it mends relationships.  If you keep everything in, eventually you will have your own meltdown...whatever that might look like for you.  After we talked and listened to each other, we hugged and the day was suddenly better.

We drove up to Magnolia and after helping the kids make forts outside :) we headed out to Save The Fish....a restaurant where my sister-in-law is a server.  We met my brother there....who had invited us to dinner in the first place...that was so nice.  We all ate dinner together and got to talk to Jenn here and there in between her tending to other tables.  A table of young girls sat behind us for most of our time there.  Let me just say....please tip your servers!!!  :)  It was great to spend time with them.

Thank You, God...for a day full of blessings.  Tomorrow's a new day......surprise me....

No comments:

Post a Comment