Saturday, November 28, 2009

LIttle Pieces

A couple of weeks ago, my pastor was going in depth on the story in the Bible where Jesus allowed the disciples to feed the multitudes of people with 5 loaves of bread and two fish.  There was no possible way, short of a miracle of God, that could have happened.  Yet everyone got enough and there was some left over.  It just amazes me every time I think of it...the awe the disciples must have felt that every time they reached into the basket to get more out, there was always plenty in there to give away.  With each person they fed, I can just imagine how their faith must have multiplied.

Last Sunday, a member of our congregation got up with the pastor and gave praise to God and how He multiplied everyone's efforts to provide supplies for and to help pack over 1500 shoe boxes full of things for needy children in other parts of the world.  In a previous conversation with this woman, she had told me that they had run out of soap and toothbrushes and had set aside the boxes that still needed them so that they didn't get packed until they had more supplies.  Somehow by the end of the day, God had taken care of that and every shoe box had enough of everything.  She said there was no way short of a miracle that could have happened, and she started crying.  Her faith was multiplied.  As the congregation reached our hands out toward the boxes and prayed for the children who would receive them, the woman speaking asked God to put a piece of His Holy Spirit into each and every box so that the children would feel His presence when they opened the boxes.  My mind started trying to wrap itself around her request of God.....

...if God took pieces of His Spirit and put some of Him in each box, what would that mean to the original whole of His Spirit?  Would it be diminished?  No.  I don't think that's possible.  Then I remembered the 5 loaves and two fish and my heart smiled cuz I felt like He had answered me.  His Spirit multiplies like the loaves and fish....He is in each of us who have accepted God's Son....yet He never becomes "less than" just because He gives of Himself...I believe He has answered that prayer and sent along with each box of supplies a piece of His Spirit...and I believe that those pieces will touch others....and those touched will touch others....and on and on....and that's what The Great Commission is all about.

Today I am thankful for His Holy Spirit in me....and for His generosity in giving so freely to all of us.

No comments:

Post a Comment