
See this picture? This is how my soul has felt lately. Dry...desert-ish...barren...empty. Don't ask me why. I have been trying to figure it out for days. All I know is today something in me has changed. It's not that I don't still have questions that need answers or that I am feeling like I am out of this valley I have been traveling in for what seems like forever. But I feel different somehow after today. Refreshed by the inspiration of a woman that I have always admired. My Aunt Dee. I attended her funeral today. Heard her husband, my Uncle Chris, sobbing in the front pew. Saw her children, parents, sisters, brothers, friends, and extended family mourn her death at such an early age. I sat with my stepsister as we both cried. I put my arm around her, trying to give the only comfort I was capable of. I know that Dee is in heaven with Jesus. She loved Him and confessed Him as her Savior. My tears and pain were because I will miss her. Our lives will never be the same. Our family get-togethers will be forever changed. She will be missing. And the tears were also because my heart was breaking for my Uncle, and the children...and a mother who should never have outlived her daughter...who has to go through an unimaginable loss. But...
The colorful purple sheet of paper that we were handed when we entered the church, that I thought had something to do with the order of the service, said in bold letters across the top, "Join us for a celebration of LIFE" and directions to Dee's sister's home followed that statement. As I was gently reminded by that of the greater purpose in all of this, Dee's daughter DeAnn got up to give her eulogy. It was the most beautiful thing I have ever heard. Such a simple and pure expression of what a wonderful, courageous, faith-filled person my Aunt had been. The priest said that he had never seen someone confront death with so much bravery and courage. She loved the Lord. He said it was plain to him when he went to give her the holy eucharist. He also said that it is rare for the church to be so full for a funeral. Dee lived her life well. She loved much. She loved the Lord and lived that out until her dying breath. What a legacy. I walked away from the visit with all of the family and friends feeling energized and inspired to live my life like that. To be a blessing to others. To have that faith that inspires others. To love much. And I am so glad that this was not "goodbye.....only an "I'll see you again someday."
1 comment:
wow...just wow. words can't say how blessed i am to have your inspiration in my life. you've got purpose in life my friend....just keep on keepin' on.
love ya.
t
Post a Comment