Wednesday, October 08, 2014

...They Know Not What They Do...


Back in my 20's I began mentally dealing with some things that had happened to me as a younger woman.  It was difficult.  VERY difficult.  It involved attempting to forgive some things that most would say are unforgivable.  I realized my humanity and that I couldn't possibly forgive on my own, so I began praying constantly for God to help me forgive.  Not so much for the other person, but for me and my own mental health and for my heart.  I didn't want to be a bitter person, and I wanted to be free.  I can't remember how it came to me...whether it was in a message I heard at church, or on the radio, or in a morning devotion, or if God just brought back to mind Scripture I had already known....but the phrase came to me almost like a revelation:  "Father, forgive them; for they know not what they do."

I said that phrase over and over again.  Many times a day.  I knew I couldn't do it on my own.  And I didn't feel what I was saying.  I didn't want God to forgive the person.  They didn't deserve it, I would think to myself.  But I just pushed those thoughts aside as they came and kept repeating that phrase.  Amazingly, over time, God enabled me to truly forgive.  I know it was Him who allowed me to forgive, for it was nothing I could have humanly forgiven on my own...and the forgiveness has lasted for years and years.  

I have used that same technique since then a couple of times.  It always works.  You don't have to feel what you are saying.  You don't have to believe that the other person deserves forgiveness.  Chances are, they don't.  I don't.  None of us does.  We all fall short.  But when we ask God to forgive them and to help us to do the same...over and over...something starts happening to our heart.  God takes over because we have invited Him to.  

I was analyzing this phrase over the last couple of days, when I realized what God was calling me to write this time...and some fresh ideas occurred to me.  "...for they know not what they do."  Well, of course they know what they're doing. There are times when people hurt us unintentionally.  That's easier to forgive.  What is harder to forgive are the times when others hurt us intentionally.  Sometimes it is with thought-out and calculated planning.  Sometimes they just have a basic knowledge that what they say or do will hurt us...but they say or do it anyway.  They know what they are doing.  

So...what did Jesus mean when he said that?   "Father, forgive them; for they know not what they do."  I think He meant that in the grand scheme of things...on an eternal scale...they couldn't have any idea  of the implications that their words and actions would have.  I don't think any of us truly does, nor will we, until we leave this Earth and meet our Creator.  If I choose to hurt someone, even if it's because I feel that person deserves it...and even if they really do...that decision has eternal consequences that I can't see played out here.  But Jesus knew.  He knew what the consequences would be for those who mistreated and tortured and beat and mocked Him.  And I think He knew that if they had any idea what the consequences would be for them because of what they did, they never would have done it.  Or at least it would have made them think twice.  

So now when I say that phrase...it allows me to have compassion on someone who I wouldn't normally have compassion for.  My humanity wants justice for wrongdoing.  Jesus wants justice too....but He has mercy.  So should I.  I just tell myself....if they really knew what they were doing and that there were eternal consequences...they wouldn't do it.  They have no idea what they are doing.  Anyone who hurts others is not operating in love.  They are operating out of something else....someplace else inside themselves that needs the touch of Christ.  

So the next time someone cuts you off on the highway...or cuts in front of you in the checkout line...or the next time someone snaps at you or says hurtful words....or worse...try saying those words in your head.  Not just once.  But until there is no more condemnation in your heart toward them,  Depending on the offense, it may take a few times of saying it.  It may take years of saying it several times a day.  But I promise you, it works.  God wants us to be free.  And that means forgiveness.  It doesn't just come.  Sometimes you have to work at it.  But God is faithful and will honor the pure motives of your heart.

You can start right now....
 "Father, forgive them; for they know not what they do."
Be blessed, my friends.

No comments:

Post a Comment