Monday, July 07, 2014

Strengthen What Remains


Sometimes God gives me words and I don't know where they come from....so I know they are from Him.  The other day the words, "strengthen what remains" came to my mind and I couldn't get it out of my head.  I wrote it down on a sticky note and put it on the monitor at my desk at work.  Today my supervisor came in and saw it and kind of laughed and said, "strengthen what remains???"  I told her I what I think of when I read that is when you are feeling so beat down and like you just have nothing left, you always have something.  So strengthen that which you still have.  Strengthen what remains.  She said what she thought of what a bum on the street who didn't have anything but his tattered cardboard box and some duct tape....taping up his box to strengthen what remains.  Now, I know most of what she said was sarcasm.  She really had no idea how precious these words had been to me lately and she really didn't understand where they came from.  But I think she got the idea exactly right.  Whatever you have left....no matter how little it is....focus on that and make it stronger. 
 
Tonight I looked up this phrase and found it in Revelation 3:2:  "Wake up!  Strengthen what remains and is about to die..."
 
All of us....from the richest person with the poorest heart condition...to the homeless person on the street with no belongings but the clothes on his back...all of us have SOMETHING left.  Something left to strengthen. 
 
If you find yourself feeling weary of this life, like you have nothing left to give, like you are just one breath away from giving up....if you find yourself lonely or afraid or empty...or bored or exhausted or in pain...however you find yourself:
 
There is something left.  Find it.  Nurture it.  Strengthen what remains.
 
"...whatever is noble, whatever is right, whatever is pure, whatever is lovely, whatever is admirable- if anything is excellent or praiseworthy- think about such things."  Philippians 4:8

No comments:

Post a Comment