Well....over the last few days, I have been either so busy or not feeling well, so I haven't made time to blog. But that doesn't mean that I haven't been surprised. Gosh, where do I start?
I got to spend some quality time with each of my kids, separately, over the last week or so. I always enjoy giving them my full, undivided attention and it's rarely planned...so that was surprising and so much needed. Brian and I found an AMAZING church that we now call home a couple of weeks ago. Last Sunday we introduced the kids to it. I think we will all adjust to the newness and it will be a wonderful experience for all of us. I have had laughs with friends that I wasn't expecting, but that came at just thr right time. I have had people cry with me over things that I needed support for and I have felt encouraged and supported by so many. Cards and texts and emails and phone calls and flowers and hugs that were all unexpected. I have such amazing friends and family.
Saturday, Maddie had a skating party to go to for a friend of hers, so we were in Columbus until 4:30pm. I had wanted to get an early start to get up to Brian's because we were all going to see A Christmas Carol that night with both of our moms and all 3 kids. On the way up there, the kids were arguing and I was getting frustrated and by the time we arrived at my mom's with an hour to spare to get ready for the evening, I was just running on empty emotionally. We had just walked in the door at my mom's and started getting our things ready to go and Brian and Brice and his mom all walked in. Unexpected. I thought we were meeting them at the play. We all caravanned to the theatre and stood in the lobby while some of the participants sang Christmas Carols in costume. After we went in and were seated, I was still struggling with frustration and Brian kept asking me what was wrong. We talked for a few minutes and I felt better. He was so excited because this was the 30th anniversary of this play at this theatre. How cool. It was very well done. Neither of my kids had ever been to something like this, and my mom had never seen it, so I was excited to see their reactions. Brian leaned over and told me, pretty early on, that his stomach was upset and he wasn't feeling well. Toward the end of the play, he excused himself to go to the bathroom and I felt so bad. I hate to see him sick...and he would miss the end of the play.
The kids were all really into it, and as the last act ended and all the participants were on stage again singing "Rejoice", everyone clapped. Then Ebenezer Scrooge stepped forward and said, "I would just like to say something..." and asked if I was in the house. WHAT?!?!? Oh my gosh...I just sat there and kind of waved a little wave from my seat. Maddie and Brian's mom kept tugging on me saying, "stand up!" Oh man. My heart was in my throat. Scrooge asked me to come up on stage, so I did. I was shaking and my mouth was dry and I was praying I wouldn't trip in those heels on the way up there! When I got there, Brian stepped forward in costume. He had been there on stage for the whole last song, and had walked on with the rest of the cast. He was dressed up so well that I didn't even know it was him! My heart was beating so fast. He got downon one knee and said from the moment he met me, he knew I was the one. He pulled out a ring and asked me to marry him and spend the rest of my life with him. WOW! I was so in shock. I had no idea this was going to happen here or that day. I said YES and he stood up and everyone clapped and the cast started singing "Rejoice" just for us...it wasn't part of the script to sing it again. We all stood hand in hand across the stage and took a bow after the song ended. Brian and I were escorted off stage to the Green Room and he had champagne there for us. I was still in shock. And so happy. I was speechless and all I could do was kiss him and hug him and get teary-eyed. I can't wait to spend the rest of my life with this man. He is everything I have ever prayed for God to send me and then some.
After we came out of the Green Room, some of the cast was there to take his costume and to take a picture of us. We went to find our family. When we got to the lobby, I saw my step-dad and nephew...and my dad and step-mom were there! I couldn't believe they were there. I cried again and hugged everyone....all of our kids...they were all so happy for us. The boys cried. It was so awesome to have everyone there. I had no idea all the planning that had gone into this. Brian had practiced with the cast for months. They all knew and were so excited for us. So many people knew for so long and helped in so many ways. It was amazing all the effort and time and thought Brian put into this. He kept a kind of journal or log about all he was doing over the last few months and gave it to me to read. I feel so loved and so special. What a gift. He is a huge blessing in my life...in all of our lives. I am so thankful for this surprise...and for the gift of knowing that God has given him to me.
Tomorrow's a new day, God....surprise us!

1 comment:
There are simply no words to tell you how awesome this is! Congrats Heather! ~Amy
Post a Comment