Saturday, March 26, 2011

Kill 'Em With Kindness



Mean people suck.  Those are the words on my favorite bumper sticker of all time.  I love it!  It's a shame that there are so many mean people in this world...enough that there are even bumper stickers made about them.  But that's life, I guess.  And we just have to learn to deal with these people because there's always gonna be someone in our lives that suffers from perpetual cranky-ness.  The cranky people I guess I can deal with.  They're just irritating.  It's the ones who are downright INTENTIONAL about their hurtful words and actions that get to me the most.  It's so hard for me to imagine being like that and living with myself.  How do they do it?  They must be miserable and they want everyone else to suffer right along with them.

Over the last month, I have been coming up with the same theme for this blog.  That tells me someone else needs to hear it.  There are people I love who are struggling with having to deal with mean-spirited people in their lives...I deal with the same thing.  It's hard.  What's even harder is to be the grown-ups that we are and not respond in anger.  Sometimes I just want to hurt someone back for hurting me or someone I love!  But that's not what we are called to do.  That sucks.  But whenever I think of how much it sucks to not be able to retaliate, I am reminded that they will be judged for how they act.  And the judgement will be more fair and swift than I could ever manage.  I may not get to see it happen, but I honestly believe mean people end up getting back what they dish out.  Here are a few other things to get you through....

Have compassion on each other, be thoughtful, loving and courteous.  Don't repay evil for evil in word or action, but bless those who try to hurt you....by doing this, you will receive a blessing.  (1 Peter 3:8-9)

Don't grow weary or get tired of doing good.  In time, we will reap the rewards if we persevere. 
(Galatians 6:9)

If your enemy needs anything at any time...even food or water...give it to him if you have it to give.  By doing this, it will be as if you were heaping burning coals of fire on his head.  (Romans 12:20)

That last one gives me a great mental image.  :)  So while I am killin 'em with kindness....and doing what I should be doing...they are being irritated because that's not what they expect or want in return for their mean-ness.  But too bad.  Hehehehe  :)

Try it.....see what happens!



2 comments:

Sarah said...

I love this Heather! You were gifted with the talent of writing! Keep writing and encouraging others. I love you girl!

Anonymous said...

Thank You Heather... Julie

Post a Comment