I love this picture. When I look at the white part of the face I see 'broken.' I see painted lips. Vacancy where eyes should be. It's a mask. Meant to hide the person behind it. As I've been waiting and listening for what I am supposed to write about next, I have seen that word over and over....and seen pictures over and over....until it was clear this is it. Masks. We all wear them to one degree or another. We meet someone for the first time and put our 'best face on.' We are supposed to go to work and leave our personal issues at home or 'leave them at the door' to the office. So what are we supposed to do when we walk INTO the office? Put on a face....an "I'm doin' great, how are you?" face. When we're fighting with our spouse and we are hosting Thanksgiving dinner....we can't let anyone know we're hurting...or angry...or really don't wanna be there. We need to pretend. And quite honestly it is a need. A need we feel and try our best to fulfill. On our own. By ourselves. Alone.
You know what, though???? We are ALL broken. All of us. Think of the person in your family or your circle of friends or that co-worker who has an absolutely perfect life from the outside. Perfect is an illusion. There is no such thing outside of the Creator. We are all flawed. Life is flawed. That person who you think has everything going for them has been...or is...or will be hurting over something in this life. That person has tried to hide pain from others who look on....maybe moreso than others...because everyone looks to them as the example of the person who has it made.
When I think about why I have hidden pain and tried to deal with it on my own, it all boils down to pride. I think I should be strong enough to handle things on my own. I don't want to burden anyone else with my problems. I don't want to appear weak. I don't NEED help....I can struggle through on my own...what could someone else do to help me anyway??? This is my issue.
Let me just share a truth with you. People need people. Sometimes you will need help....and sometimes you will be in a good place physically and emotionally and you will be the person meant to help someone else in need. It's all about seasons and timing. We don't all need help at the same time....that would be chaos! And we aren't all walking around looking for someone to help when there's no one in need. Life shifts. Sometimes we're the need-er and sometimes we're the need-ee. :)
Think of the joy or satisfaction you have felt being able to help someone who needed your help....whether they asked for it or not....whether you sought to help them or it just kinda fell on you to do so. Just think about that feeling for a second. Pretty nice, huh? Now why would you be so selfish as to rob someone else of the opportunity to feel the same way by wearing that mask and insisting you are okay....independent...capable of handling things on your own...swallowing the lump in your throat and pushing yourself to just keep going through your day like a robot....like you're perfectly perfect and fine. Cuz that's what we do when we don't let people in. We steal away a precious opportunity for them to minister to us in our need.
Now I'm not saying it's appropriate to go into a long littany of all your bodily ailments or marital problems or heartache over a broken friendship when the check-out lady at the grocery store asks you how you're doing today. But I AM saying when we're hurting, there will be opportunities to talk to someone and ask for help or just talk it out....to share that burden and lighten the load. Opportunities. Take them. Reach out a little bit. And don't be afraid to be the one to reach out to someone you sense is in need. Sometimes all it takes for someone to open up is a sincere, "No, really....how are you???"
We are all broken. It's okay NOT to be okay sometimes. Let God surprise you.... ;)

No comments:
Post a Comment